What’s a rabbit’s favorite game? Hopscotch of course! For the month of January, Miffy has made a New Year’s resolution to get active for at least 10 minutes every day. In the winter it’s not as easy to run and play outside since it can be cold and since it gets dark so early. That’s why Miffy created her very own indoor hopscotch court and you can too using the instructions below!
- Cardboard (large cereal boxes and frozen pizza boxes are perfect)
- Acrylic Craft Paint
- Figure out the design you want for your hopscotch and how many cardboard squares you’ll need. (Example: 9 squares and a half circle with the number 10 on it at the top)
- Trace numbers on the cardboard squares then paint over them with acrylic craft paints.
- Once the paint has dried, arrange your squares on the floor (Typical hopscotch calls for a couple sets of numbered squares to be paired side by side – if you’re using 10 squares, pairs would be at 4-5 and 7-8).
Tip: Try playing on carpet to reduce the likelihood of the squares slipping when you hop on them.
- Toss a small stone, beanbag, or other marker into the first square. (If it lands on a line, or outside the square, you lose your turn. Pass the marker to the following player and wait for your next turn.)
- Hop on one foot into the first empty square, and then every subsequent empty square. Be sure to skip the one your marker is on.
- At the pairs (4-5 and 7-8), jump with both feet.
- At 10, hop with both feet, turn around, and head back toward the start.
- When you reach the marked square again, pick up the marker (still on one foot!) and complete the course.
- If you finished without any mistakes, pass the marker to the next player. On your next turn, toss the marker to the next number.
- If you fall, jump outside the lines, or miss a square or the marker, you lose your turn and must repeat the same number on your next turn. Whoever reaches 10 first, wins.
- Happy Hopping!
If you post a video of yourself playing hopscotch and tag @MiffyOfficialUSA you could have a chance to be featured on Miffy’s Instagram!