What can you do with your pumpkin patch haul? Make a Miffy pumpkin! Follow these steps to carve a beautiful Miffy jack-o-lantern:
- Before you start, make sure you have all the bits and pieces you need for carving a pumpkin:
- A pumpkin
- A spoon
- A sharp knife
- A marker pen
- A tealight
2. Cut off the crown of the pumpkin an inch or two from the stem. If you do this at an angle with the knife pointing down, the lid of your pumpkin will stay put and not fall through!
3. Now, it’s time for the messy bit! Use the spoon to scoop out all the gooey seeds and fibers until your pumpkin is smooth on the inside.
4. Your pumpkin is nearly ready for carving. Before you start, use your marker pen or board marker to draw your Miffy design onto your pumpkin. You can also print out an image, stick it to your pumpkin and use a pin to poke the design out without marking your pumpkin.
5. Finally, it’s time to start carving! Being very careful, use a sharp knife to cut out your drawing. Sometimes it is easier to use a serrated knife, but always be sure to take your time and make sure an adult is helping you.
As you can see, Miffy’s ears are touching the top of the pumpkin to make sure the design is sturdy.
6. Once the outline is done you can draw on Miffy’s face. This bit can be a little tricky so ask for help if you need it! Once you have given Miffy her eyes and mouth, place a candle in the pumpkin and replace the lid.
7. Time to light your tealight and turn off the lights… OooOOoooh, spooky!