As seasons change and many of us listen to the pitter-patter of raindrops on the windowpanes, we know that the beauty of springtime is just around the corner. What better way to spend a rainy day than with Miffy and her friends! Share photos of your April showers with Miffy on Instagram or Facebook!
Miffy, what sound does the rain make? Create the soundtrack for Miffy’s rainy day with this DIY rain stick.
What you need to make your rain stick:
1 paper towel tube
Decorative materials, such as construction paper, markers, crayons, stickers, or washi tape
2 rubber bands
Dried beans, rice, lentils or popcorn kernels (each makes a different kind of sound!)
How to make your rain stick:
1. Decorate the outside of the paper towel tube, using construction paper and decorative materials.
- Seal one end of the paper towel tube by wrapping plastic wrap around the end and securing with a rubber band, wrapped twice.
- Form a segment of aluminum foil into a long, stretched spring-shape. Place aluminum foil inside the paper towel tube.
- Pour ¼ cup of beans (or other filler material) carefully into the paper towel tube.
- Place the second plastic wrap seal on the paper towel tube, securing it in place with a rubber band.
Tilt your Rain Stick side to side – can you hear the rain?
Snack-tivity: Sweet and Savory Umbrella Snacks
Different umbrellas for different tastes – stay healthy and dry in April!
Ingredients and supplies:
Blueberries, rinsed and dried
Plastic bendy straws
Small round snack cheese in wax (such as Babybel)
For both types of umbrellas, use blueberries as the raindrops, and cut bent straws to form the umbrella handle garnish.
Sweet umbrella snack:
Cut off sides of apple vertically, then cut horizontally to make a semicircle shape. Insert the cut bent straw in the middle of the flat side of the semicircle as the umbrella handle. Surround with blueberries and top with sliced banana arranged in a cloud pattern.
Savory umbrella snack:
Cut round snack cheese in half to make a semicircle. Insert the cut bent straw in the middle of the flat side of the semicircle as the umbrella handle. Surround with blueberries and top with popcorn “clouds”.
Songs for April Showers:
Use the sound of your rain stick to accompany these rain-themed songs:
Coloring Book Print-outs: