Miffy loves music and she can’t think of a better way to spend the day than singing, dancing and making music with her friends. Check out Miffy’s new sing-along activity to find out how you can put on your very own show right in the middle of your own home.
Supplies for all activities
2 toilet paper rolls, 2-3 flashlights
2-3 small to medium size cardboard boxes
10 sheets of tissue paper
1 sheet of black construction paper
5-6 rubber bands or 5-6 pieces of yarn
1 sheet of parchment paper
1 cup of uncooked beans
1 roll of tape or one container of glue
1 tissue box
1 paper towel role
3 popsicle sticks
1 wrapping paper roll
1 shoe box
Stage Lights: To make spotlights, find 2-3 small to medium cardboard boxes. Cut a hole the size of the widest part of the flashlight in the box and place the flashlight in the cutout portion. Turn on for stage lights.
Microphone: For a microphone, take a toilet paper roll, crumple up some tissue paper into a ball the size of an adult’s hand and place it on top of the role. Next, wrap black construction paper over the tissue paper it so the sides of the paper extend beyond the top of the tube, then wrap a rubber band or two over the paper voila, a microphone!
The Miffy movie has several good options for children’s songs, including “Treasure Hunt Song,” “When I Grow Big,” and “Treasure Hunt Song.” You can also add some of some other childhood favorites and conduct your singalong!
Shaker: Due to small pieces, the shaker should only be created with children over 3. For a shaker, use a toilet paper roll, wrap parchment paper across one end, fill the roll with beans, glue or wrap rubber bands around each end to secure the parchment paper. Consider decorating the outside with pom-poms, glitter or coloring to make it more personal.
Guitar: Tape or glue 4-5 pieces of ribbon or rubber bands across the open center of a tissue box, making sure the ribbon or rubber band is extremely tight. To create the top part of the guitar, cut a hole in the top of the tissue box and push a roll of wrapping paper through. If roll isn’t staying in well, consider flattening the portion of the role that’s inside the tissue box and taping it to the inside of the tissue box. Finally, glue three popsicle sticks across the top of the wrapping paper roll.
Drum-Tape or glue the top/lid of a shoe box to the bottom of the shoe box. Flip it over, decorate and use your hands or spoons to put on a show!
Xylophone: If you want to go digital, you can even play the xylophone online at Miffy.com/music.
After working up quite a thirst from the show, enjoy a delicious cup of Fizzy Fruit Punch with Fruity-Fun Ice Cubes, courtesy of the Creative Kitchen.
Fizzy Fruit Punch with Fruity-Fun Ice Cubes (Yields approximately 9 cups )
Fizzy Fruit Punch:
1/2 bunch mint, washed and chopped
2 cups pineapple juice
2 cups orange juice
2 cups apple juice
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
4 cups soda water
*Fruity-Fun Ice Cubes
- In a large bowl (or pitcher), add all ingredients and stir to combine (if desired, add any extra fruit-water).
- Remove Fruity-Fun Ice Cubes from freezer, remove from ice cube mold and add to Fizzy Fruit Punch. Enjoy!
Fruity-Fun Ice Cubes:
6 oz. (approximately 1 cup) washed blackberries
6 oz. (approximately 1 cup) washed blueberries
6 oz. (approximately 1 cup) washed raspberries
1 cup washed, hulled, and halved strawberries
4 cups water
- Place fruit in a gallon-size plastic re-sealable bag. Removing as much air as possible prior, carefully seal the bag of fruit.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll over the bag of fruit. Roll over bag until the consistency is mashed. While the texture may be lumpy, make sure there are no large pieces of fruit, to ensure all will fit into each compartment of the ice cube mold.
- Pour mashed fruit into a large bowl. Add water and stir to combine.
- Using a large spoon (so that all the fruit on the bottom can be scooped up!), transfer the fruit-water evenly into 4 ice cube trays (any extra fruit-water may be added to the punch. Store in refrigerator overnight).
- Freeze ice cube trays overnight.