Miffy went to the zoo recently, and now you can too, or at least feel like you did! From mammals to music, the following Miffy Fun activities help children and parents create a zoo-like experience right in their own home. With arts & crafts, songs, food and more, it’s a great way to spend a morning or afternoon.
Please feel free to use any of the content featured below with credit to Miffy Fun.
Touch And Feel Animal Mask Craft
- Paper plates
- Crayons, paint, markers, or colored pencils, paint brush
- Colored construction paper, felt, fabric, or other decorative materials that will add texture and dimension
- Scotch tape, glue or glue stick
- Mask templates
- Print out animal mask template of your choice. (Rabbit, lion, cheetah, mouse, owl, etc.)
- Trace outline of template onto paper plate.
- Make the ears and other special parts, i.e. trunk for an elephant.
- Choose one or more features for your 3D focus.
- Attach the ears and other special parts.
- Color/Paint the animal except for the parts dedicated for your 3D effect.
- Add the 3D details. Here are some ideas:
- Owl – Accent the eyebrows with feathers.
- Unicorn – Dip the horn in glitter or glow-in-the-dark paint.
- Bunny – Add cotton to the ears or snout.
- Cheetah – Make the spots out of felt.
- Fish – Use layers of different colored construction pieces for the scales.
- Bear – Cut out and piece together different brown materials to form a collage.
- Create a handle with a craft stick, unsharpened pencil or popsicle stick. Glue or tape at the back of the mask.
- What do you call a lion with chicken pox? A dotted lion
- What do you get when you cross a snowman and a lion? Frost-bite
- On which day do lions eat toffee? Chewsday
- What do you get when you cross a potato with an elephant? Mashed potatoes
- Where does an elephant pack his luggage? In his trunk
- Why does the elephant bring toilet paper to the party? Because he is a party pooper
- What do you call an alligator with GPS? A Navigator
- What do alligators drink before a race? Gatorade
- What do you call a man too big for an alligator to eat? A jawbreaker
- What do you call a monkey that sells potato chips? A chipmunk
- What did the monkey say when he cut off his tail? It won’t be long now.
- What do you call a monkey with a wizard’s hat and wand? Hairy Potter.
- Polar Bear
- What do polar bears eat for dinner? Brrrritos and brrrgrrs
- What do you call a polar bear on thin ice? An ice breaker
- How does a polar bear stop a video? It presses the “paws” button.
Animal Fun Fact Corner
- Tigers can jump more than 16 feet in length.
- Sharks do not have a single bone in their body.
- Dolphins are carnivores.
- Frogs can see forwards, sideways and upwards all at the same time. They never close their eyes, even when they sleep.
- While lions and leopards usually do their hunting at night, cheetahs hunt for food during the day. They have excellent eyesight during the day but poor night vision.
- An adult elephant needs to drink around 55 gallons of water a day.
- Sea otters hold hands when they sleep to keep from drifting apart.
- Cows can sleep standing up, but they can only dream lying down.
- Alligators can live up to 100 years.
- A female tarantula spider can survive for more than two years without food.
Animal Food Items
- Animal Crackers
- Gummy Bears
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Chicken Fingers
- Jelly Fish
- Hot Dogs
- Monkey Bread
- Turkey Burgers
- The Lion Sleeps Tonight – The Tokens
- Crocodile Rock – Elton John
- Hound Dog – Elvis
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Rock Lobster – B52s
- Dark Horse – Katy Perry
- Hungry Like a Wolf – Duran Duran
- Monkey – George Michael
- Rockin’ Robin – Michael Jackson
- Who Let the Dogs Out – Baha Men